It’s believed that synthetic fibers, like polyester (which poly-fill is derived from), are the biggest source of microplastic pollution in the oceans.
Key facts about the impact of plastic use on our planet:
- More than 99% of plastics are produced from chemicals derived from oil, natural gas and coal — all of which are dirty, non-renewable resources.
- Since the 1950s, the rate of plastic production has grown faster than that of any other material and trending heavily towards single-use plastic products.
- Around the world, one million plastic drinking bottles are purchased every minute, while up to 5 trillion single-use plastic bags are used worldwide every year.
- Amounts of plastic waste are increasing rapidly. In the early 2000’s our plastic waste rose more in a single decade than it had in the previous 40 years.
- Today nearly 300 million metric tons of plastic per year is produced. A staggering 8 million metric tons of plastic end up in the world’s oceans every year.
- The properties of plastic make it nearly impossible for nature to completely break down. Tiny plastic particles may be found in our water supply, food supply and can increase the transmission of vector-borne diseases like malaria.
For more information, please visit: www.unenvironment.org
Some Cool Stuff about SafeFill™ Stuffing:
- It’s an eco-friendly, biodegradable, alternative to poly-fill that is made from natural plant starch.
- It’s sustainable, fire-resistant and hypoallergenic.
- It does not contain any crude oil or toxic byproducts that can have serious adverse effects on pets and humans. If accidentally swallowed, SafeFill™ dissolves harmlessly in a pet’s mouth like cotton candy does in humans.